Mondo Grass: Anyone know about this plant?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I just bought Mondo Grass from Petco and it says moderate light and temp 68-76F. It looks really nice but it's supposed to be a terrestrial plant.

Anyone grow this stuff before?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah its an 'emersed' plant. It stayed green for about 3 months in my puffers tank (the one that's 50/50 I mentioned in another post) and its dead now. You can often see it ouside your local mcdonalds/olive garden, so its considered able to grow underwater but there's probably stuff you could get to grow much better that would look similar. I don't know why petsmart/co sells it as an immersed plant. -.- Emersed plants are optimal either out of water or half-submerged if I understand things right. Not so much fully submerged.

Given the right conditions you can probly get it survive immersed, but I guess I didn't have them. I will say its hearty cause it lasted quite awhile after the initial browning. It's the only plant I've been unable to keep though which is suprising cause two of my tanks really have $hit for lighting.

It's what blimpie was resting on when I thought he was dead awhile back. lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Did Blimpie make it?

I've got 5 plus watts per gallon so I guess I'll see if it stays alive.

I'm going to try dwarf baby tears too.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah I'm glad to say he's still doing great. =D

I'm finally under the suspicion a snail from one of my other tanks was carrying bacteria that infected him. Afterall it seems it was within a few hours his last snack got him really sick -- and he hasn't really touched snails much since -- at least not as voraciously as he used to. They do disappear in the little 5gal but I think the hydor bubbler is to blame. Has a bit of suction power. Still by far my favorite fish. He's quite the personality.

Baby tears is the other plant I mentioned in Z's post that died abruptly in blimpies tank. At least its coming along well in my 30 gallon now that the army of 8 amanos is tearing up the algae that was choking it out.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I found that my tank was getting way too hot, like in the 90's, so I put a big cooling fan blowing air onto the water and the plants seem to be growing better.

My tilapias, which are small in this tank, only eat the smaller snails and someone is eating the egg clusters. The bigger snails are too tough for the fish to eat.

5 posts