FEW FRESHWATER TANK QUESTIONS

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

supertank

by supertank

HEY GUYS,
JUST A FEW THINGS THAT I AM WONDERING ABOUT, I GOT A JUWEL REKORD 120 TANK 2 DAYS AGO AND AM TRYING TO GET THE DECORATIONS SET UP ETC. BEFORE STARTING CYCLING AND THEN ADDING FISH. THIS IS NOW THE END OF DAY 2 AND THE WATER IN MY TANK IS STILL A LITTLE HAZY/CLOUDY. WOULD A 20% WATER CHANGE HELP OR IS IT TOO SOON TO DO WATER CHANGE..

I HAVE PUT A FEW SLATES INTO MY TANK AND AM WORRIED ABOUT THE WEIGHT, SOME PEOPLES TANK SEEM TO BE FULL OF STONES, SHOULD I BE WORRIED.

ALSO AS I AM NEW TO THIS HOBBY, IS THERE ANY FISH THAT ARE NESSECARY FOR A TANK TO HAVE, LIKE ONES THAT CLEAN THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK OR OTHER ONES THAT ALMOST HAVE JOBS IN THE TANK INSTEAD OF JUST LOOKING PRITTY..

ADVICE ON ANY OF MY QUESTIONS WOULD BE BRILL

THANKS, SUPER TANK

jweb1369

by jweb1369

no dont do a water change, it wont help at all. Your sediment in the tank just needs to settle. Give it a week. Add fish after the 2nd or 3rd week of the tank cycling. You don't need to worry about the weight unless whatever your tank is sitting on cant hold it. It depends on what type of tank you want to decide what fish would be good. There really arent any fish that are necessary.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

jweb was right with that last point...if you find that you get a bit of unwanted Algae down the line I highly recommend ottos (cant remember the correct spelling at the moment) some websites say they're complicated and tend to die but I'v had GREAT luck with mine maybe because they have a constant food source Im not sure...but yeah they're good for algae if you dont have room for plecos.

Before I got the fish I have now I had Tiger barbs...they were great! If you want something fun to watch get a large school of them...(regular, albino, green...theres a bunch of different colours)....Not sure what goes great with them but they would be great with just the school alone. :)

jweb1369

by jweb1369

tiger barbs are fin nippers so i wouldnt suggest putting them with otocinclus. Maybe larger plecos or syndontis would do fine. I do agree however, otocinclus are great algae eaters and will never quit their jobs.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

good point. <3 LUV my otocinclus! By the time they finish the algae on one wall the other has grown back then they just switch over. I havnt had to suppliment at all yet. Must be my crappy lighting and all the natural sunlight from the windows.

When I had tigers I kept them by themselves...they were very happy in a school of 9 but in a larger tank i'd imagine you could put more right? And if you just had all tiger barbs it would be like a big moving unit allmost all the time...would be cool to see them like that (outside the harsh crowded petstore environment of course)

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

ummm o honestly do not think that tiget barbs would fin nip at ottos.....think about it ottos max out at like an inch and a half....

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i think that the plecos would be more apt to get fin nipped than and otto in all reality ottos are quick little buggers too....

7 posts