help

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

acerkai640

help

by acerkai640

i have a banded lepo (headstander) that every once and awhile will rub himself against the gravel or a rock. is this normal or not? truthfully i think he stresses out my whole tank and would reall like to get rid of him but none of my LFS will take him what should i do? thanks
-acer-

gumbii

by gumbii

claiming territory...???

i really don't know what a lepo is... i'll check it out...

acerkai640

by acerkai640

it is a Banded Leporinus (Leporinus fasciatus) but he is leaving everyone aalone for the most part, but i have 3 catfish that dont relax, so im just curious should i just toss him or what?

gumbii

by gumbii

WTF?!?!?!?!?!... toss him you say...???

if the fish is sick, don't just toss him... that's not cool... we usually try our hardest to save him... setup a quarantine tank if he's sick...

anyways... after reading up on him, i'd say that you got your hands full with that guy... he's a high maintinance fish... and he probably is claiming territories...

does it look like he has ick...? ick looks like salt all over the fish... check his fins and see if he has white powdery bugs sucking his blood out...

acerkai640

by acerkai640

no ive looked and there is no ick but i say toss him cuz im just a beginner and well he was a spontanious-sp buy and well he has eaten 2 mollies, taken a hugh chink out my my pictus cat top fin and we lost a guppy looking fish over night, dont know who but assuming him, and that was my gf fav fish :( so i cant have keep eating all my fish. so please help

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Well when you buy a fish, besides feeder fish, you kind of alienate yourself to care for it to your best ability. First of all, are you positive that it is attacking your other fish? Have you seen it with your own eyes? The reason I ask is because they are supposed to be herbivores and completely peaceful in community tanks. On the other hand, there is always that 1 in a million out of the group that will be rambunctious and hard to care for. You might have just picked that one out of the group. Hopefully it is what I first said though. If not then I would say look around and see if anyone will take him.

Before you go that last resort route, add more rocks a lot more than you currently have and place them close together as if creating a fissure. My aquarium design advice would be to put this setup on one side of the tank. He might just stay over there and not bother the other fish as much. These fish live in these areas and prefer them, which could be the reason why he is acting sparatic. They also like high current, so I would add another powerhead around 300+ gph to make sure there is great flow for that size tank.

I got this information from this website incase you want to read it...

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/chara ... orinus.htm

Can you take a close up picture of him for me? The site says there are various types of this species.

acerkai640

by acerkai640

yeah ill try getting a picture later. yes i have seen him attacking other fish my gf watched him nip every fin off the mollies and then start pecking at them. also i have had 5 gohst shrimp and he ate all of them too. so im oing to try to take some better pics of him and the tank so you could see my set up. thanks for your help so far
-acer-

acerkai640

by acerkai640

ok no i think my pictus cat is being very territorial, he wont let any other fish come any where near his cave and the cave is in the middle of the tank. is that ok or will he kill the other fish

jweb1369

by jweb1369

aquascape your tank how I suggested. See if that works.

acerkai640

by acerkai640

ok i will but that wont be for a few more weeks im out of money, thanks and is there a good way of doing it and still making it look natural and still have open area for them to swim around?
-acer-

help

10 posts