is this combination ok

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Dinarian7002

is this combination ok

by Dinarian7002

I have two tanks that are about 20 inches X 9 inches X 9 inches

one tank with 2 koi carp, 2 auratus, 2 tiger barb, 2 widow tetra,

and the other tank with 4 golden fishes,5black and sunshine mollies, 1 Zebra Molly and 1 red zebras, 2 Singapore Guppies

previously all of them were in the same tank!! except guppies!!

the problem with the first tank with auratus, carp,barbs is they stay at the bottom most of the time!! i very recently setup an aquarium with many objects like porcelain, crystals, and some plastic stuff!! and both my tanks have water plants in it!! they look like creepers and i donno the name of it!!

is this combination ok!! am planning of adding another 4-6 Tigerbarbs to the first tank!!

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Sounds okay.. Just watch the auratus closely, they are supposed to be pretty mean I believe. What sex are the two auratus???

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

You have too few tetra, barbs, zebra and guppy. Each of those species needs the company of a larger group of their own kind. They don't do so great when not in a school (or group, for the guppy).

None of those fish will really display their natural behavior (which is why we watch them, right?) if not in a large enough group or school. They will show other behaviors like unusual hiding or aggression, They also tend to be less healthy, less colorful, and die younger.

Also consider that your choices of fish are very attractive fish, but much less so when kept in very small numbers. A school of 7-8 tetras is very visually stunning (especially since they will school which is eye-catching), while one of this, three of those, and a couple of these is much less appealing to the eye. Sort of like a cluttered room of mismatched stuff.

The more types of species you have in one tank, the more likely you are to encounter problems. Too many personalities, temperaments, etc. and for each new one you add, you introduce one more variable to your community tank.

Zambize

Dinarian7002

by Dinarian7002

thanks for the info
how about adding 6 more tiger barbs in to the first tank!! is that ok!

let me just make it very very easy wat is the best combination that is possible with these fishes!! with 2 tanks!! that i have!!

but for some or the other reason i love the auratus and tiger barb!!

and this is another doubt which am having Recently in a shop i saw auratus kids very tiny about .75 inch blue in color, but the shopkeeper told they were blue morphs!! are they both the same!! ???

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

uhh the koi and goldfish for that matter are eventully going to outgrow your tank....and honestly you should really never mix anytype of gold fish with tropical fish. but that is kind of my personal opinion
your tetras and barbs should be keps in groups of 6 or more
and most goldfish need a min of 30 - 55 gallons per fish.
and your tank is probally about 30ish.....?
and your goldfish will probally eventlly eat your guppys...

ELI05GT

by ELI05GT

I just have one question. Do you test your water also? Im guessing with all those fish your Nitriates are kinda creeping high.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea goldfish do need a tank for themselves and a water chiller. They are usually kept in almost frigid temperatures. My LPS's goldfish tank is like freezing cold, I would guess about 60 degrees. Here's an excerpt from wiki about goldfish...

Temperatures under about 10 °C (50 °F) are dangerous to goldfish. Conversely, temperatures over 25 °C (77 °F) can be extremely damaging for goldfish (this is the main reason why they shouldn't be kept in tropical tanks).

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

gold fish do there best in cold water, that is not saying they cant be kept in warmer waters, but they will live a longer happier life in cooler waters

Dinarian7002

by Dinarian7002

i havent checked my nitrate level and both my tanks doesnt have a filter!! all it has is an aerator!!
how to check notrate

jweb1369

by jweb1369

you have to get a nitrate test kit at a LPS. or just buy the entire master kit and save money in the long run. I bought mine on foster and smith for half the price. shipping is 9.99 but it tells you what you what the limit is on that shipping price so you can economize. i ended up buying a 30 lb bag of sand, freshwater master test kit, and a power head for 69.99 including shipping. I would have paid more than that for just the power head at any stores near me. So I saved a ton, also considering the sand online was 20 bucks opposed to 40 at my LPS, SAME EXACT THING too. All that shipped for $9.99. Not bad, not bad at all. And um yes you need a filter like F'ing PRONTO!! What were you thinking...?

is this combination ok

16 posts • Page 1 of 2