New to keeping a fish tank

22 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adamcore

by adamcore

thanks for all the help! I really do appreciate it...been wanting to up my fish keeping and make it more of my main hobby.

adamcore

by adamcore

Do you by chance know if Gourami's can live fine with each other? I have two of them...one which I've had for around 2 months and I added another yesterday. They seem to be doing ok together....havent really seen one bully the other.

gumbii

by gumbii

i don't know much about antabanoids(sp?)...

i think it's species specific, related to how much surface territory they could have, and depends on the fish... some fish are sweet hearts, and others are aquatic kujo's...

adamcore

by adamcore

none of the other fish i have really hang out at the surface besides the two gouramis...the others tend to be either ones that hand out at the bottom or middle. Tho...my rainbow shar seems to be shy....hes new and hasnt really come out much at all since i put him in yesterday

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

you said that there was 1 neon tetra, they get stressed when there isnt very many, I would say keeping the minimum group of 6 would be better.

adamcore

by adamcore

so...if I have 7 fish in a 10 gallon fish tank at the moment...could i add more neon tetra without overcrowding??

jweb1369

by jweb1369

i would add 2 or 3 more. make sure your filtration is over filtration to handle the load. Gumbi is right when he says never clean the tank entirely and I will expound upon that for you. The reason being is because there is good bacteria that helps treat your tank water and you will kill it all by cleaning the entire tank. This will keep your tank in the always new cycle mode. That is very bad. Ammonia will almost always be on the high route. Just make sure when you clean it only clean the front and sides of the tank and never the back. Let it build up with algae that can also help keep the tank stable. There is also tank treatment called stress zyme that contains live bacteria that helps with filtration. I used it because it came free with a bottle of stresscoat that I use to treat my water for chlorine. You can't really tell a difference but I'm sure it affects it some way. You should also buy a freshwater master test kit and weekly or atleast biweekly check all the parameters of your tank to ensure good water quality.

adamcore

by adamcore

Was going to go in tomorrow and pick up a couple more of the tetras while I take back the gourami I bought yesterday so I can keep a peaceful tank

gumbii

by gumbii

don't forget to get a gravel vac...

ELI05GT

by ELI05GT

Just to let anyone know, when you do your waterchanges add your water treatment(whatever kind you use) BEFOURE you add the new water. Don't add the water, then add PRIME.

New to keeping a fish tank

22 posts • Page 2 of 3