New to keeping a fish tank

22 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adamcore

by adamcore

Alright...so I have had my current fish tank for around 8 months. But I am still really new to keeping fish and was wondering what kinds of signs I really need to be looking out for and what I can do to keep a very healthy fish tank. Right now I have a 10 gallon fish tank and use two different filters. I have 6 fish and they all seem to be doing ok right now...but I always worry about them because I really don't want any of them to die. In all honestly I really know nothing except for the very basics and would love to hear feedback on what i can do to keep my little friends good to go.

(soon will be upgrading to a 75 tank)

gumbii

by gumbii

what kind of filters, and what kind of fish...?

adamcore

by adamcore

I have a smaller 3g bio filter which I used to use in my old small aquarium, and I also use a Sand shark which goes up to about 20g. I have two gourami's (sp?) a blue neon and another...cant remember the name. 2 dwarf platties...1 neon tetra, and another tetra...(dont remember the name...besides the two gouramis, all the fish were given to me) the 2nd tetra is black and gray(small) high dorsal fin, and a small rainbow shark

gumbii

by gumbii

well... usually you look out for wierd swiming, discoloration, and stuff growing on or around the fish itself... once you notice something wierd, just ask a forum what it is... picturesmake it way easier...

sounds like your filtration is pretty good... but when you get the 75 i would do a fishless cycle befor adding the other fish... go on google, and search for "fishless cycle" and read up on it...

adamcore

by adamcore

the two gouramis have been "looking for a way out" is the best way I can really describe it. Swimming back and forth against the front of the glass as if trying to find a way to get past the glass. They have been doing it for probably around a half hour...and have done it before on occasion. Is this something that happens frequently?

gumbii

by gumbii

my 400+ fish do that every morning... but that's because they know they are going to get fed...

but it's quite normal... maybe they're hungry...

adamcore

by adamcore

ya...think that was it. Just fed them some and they quit doing that. Also...how exactly should I be cleaning my tank. I was always told that I should do a full tank cleaning every two weeks or so. As in taking the fish out and putting them in a smaller tank while I emptied the water and cleaned the filters and rocks ect. But I read elsewhere that, that is not the right way to do it. How should I be doing that? Because I wasnt sure how to get all the feces out otherwise.

gumbii

by gumbii

i do weekly water changes... two different types... one week i will... wait...

DON'T CLEAN THE ENTIRE TANK COMPLETELY!!!...

okay... don't ever do that...

look... i do some tanks on monday... so today when i get home, i will vacuum the gravel and do like a 10-20% waterchange... use only treated water to replace it... get some prime...

and next week monday on the same tank i take out water, but don't clean the gravel... i just take out 10-20% water but, i clean out the filters... it's pretty simple and low maintanance this way...

adamcore

by adamcore

what should I be using to vacuum the gravel? About a month ago I started only doing 30% water changed and it seemed to work a lot better.

gumbii

by gumbii

go to a petshop and buy a cheap gravel vac... it's just a hose with a big tube on the other end... it will get all of the crud that is built up under the gravel... that's deadly stuff and should be removed...

22 posts • Page 1 of 3