Help Needed for chiclid Family

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Dinarian7002

by Dinarian7002

AM planning of setting up a lank of the dimension,
3 feet X 1.5 Feet X 1 feet

planning of setting up Cichlid Family,

guys help me with the various cichlids that can be kept in it!!

it would be gr8 if you coulld mention the Green Terror in it and also is it ok if i have tiger barbs and aeratus with them

gumbii

by gumbii

um... auratus..? as in african mbuna auratus...

i'd be carefull with the africans and south americans... i don't recomend mixing them, but some people have great stories of success... but i think about the long road, not just when they are juveniles...

i can only give you advice, but it's stuff that i do or that i'm into... so before you decide you should wait for more people to post before you make any decisions...

i like species tanks... if you want green terrors... i would only get a bunch of green terrors... if you want to make it comunity, i would get like some green/neon terrors... there are different types of green terrors... i think neon terrors or blues are the best... okay... some terrors, maybe a pair or two of fire mouths, and some convicts... those are the most peacefull and readily available south american cichlids out there...

if you want tiger barbs, well... you might get away with a school of them in there... i would get 6 or more... they like to school and play around with eachother... they are pretty fun to watch, i've never owned any myself...

if you want africans... i would stick to only african colony tank... like a colony of C. afra and L cerileus... um... lol... what i mean when i say colony, is about 6-8 of the same fish... like 6 electric yellows, and 6 demasoni... that would be a pretty stable double colony mbuna tank...

but like i said... that's just what i would do...

Dinarian7002

by Dinarian7002

thanks a lot mate!!
to be frank i donno much about these african and american cichlids!!

you will not believe i had 2 green terrors and one scat in a small tank measuring, 9inches * 4inches* 4 Inches,
i can be considered as an illiterate when it comes to fishes, and my other tank, that is about 20 inches X 9 inches X 9 inches as about 2 koi carp, 4 golden fishes, 2 auratus, 2 tiger barb, 2 widow tetra, had about 10( 5 now) black and sunshine mollies and 10 red zebras( now 1)

now i've decided to set a good tank with proper place to hide and good room to play around for cichlids, thats the reason why am seeking help of you experienced people from this gr8 site,

auratus, tiger barb and green terror have impressed me greatly thats the reason i wanted to knw wether they can be kept in a same tank!!

thanks for your patience in helping me out

gumbii

by gumbii

wow... the petshop saw you coming... don't ever ask the petshop guys for help... they'll sell you anything even if they kill eachother...

Dinarian7002

by Dinarian7002

yeah i knw bro!! yesterday i bought a tank of dimension 9inches * 4inches* 4 Inchesand placed 2 auratus, 2 tiger barb, 2 widow tetra, and 2 koi carp in to that!! i guess now it makes a bit of sense!!
one tank, with guppies, redsebra, mollies, gold and the other with auratus, widow tetra , tiger barb and carp!!

Dinarian7002

by Dinarian7002

and regarding the bigger cichlid tank which i was talking!!
the shop keeper suggested me to go for about 15 pairs of cichlid kids!!
The following are the list that he told me
1 pair of Green Terror
2-3 pair of Severum ( various Colors)
1 Pair of dolphin morph
1 pair of chocolate
1 pair of white
1 pair of blue
2 pairs of Auratus ( blue & yellow)
1 pair of dolphin
1 Pair of 5 color
2 pairs of Redparrot( i said no to these)

and there were few more fishes which i forgot!!
are these fishes really compatible!!

Help needed from Experts here!!
am gonna spend about 4000 to 6000 Rupees (100 to 150 $ )
so please guide me

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea, never ONLY go by what the pet store workers tell you. I usually take about 3 opinions before I do anything anyways. Although it is very hard to in this hobby. You will find yourself making spur of the moment purchases and fumbling to throw something together. Only after years of fish keeping and reading books and internet articles will you actually learn what is necessary to keep fish well and happy. Another thing is don't believe what one website says about a certain species. Read a few then make your own average on the specifics such as water temp, tank size, pH, etc... So many articles contradict each other it is hard to be well-informed in this hobby. So never go by what you hear or read all the time. Some people at pet stores are very knowledgable but you have to remember their knowledge can only go so far. They can't possibly have personally kept every fish that they sell.

Check out my tank. I have had one casualty because I bought one of my Kenyi females a little too small and she couldn't handle the constant attacks. Cichlids are mean and Kenyi's are the meanest or so I hear (after I bought the fish)... However they are a very rewarding fish to keep. My other tank mates are Labidochromis Caeraleus, and they do well with swimming away from the reigning Kenyi female attacker. When dealing with cichlids just make sure you buy compatible tank mates and they are the same size or atleast VERY close. I am starting to become nervous because my one female Kenyi is growing much more rapidly than my other fish. Hopefully things will be okay. Anyways, check out my tank, see what you think of the Labidochromis Caeraleus (electric yellows aka yellow labs). They are a less aggressive fish and can usually be kept with most cichlids.

Your tank sounds like it is near a 30 gallon or larger right? If so, look for cichlids that grow to about 6" max. Any larger might be too big. Check out the cichlids at your local pet store and find ones you like. Ask us on here if they will be okay together. Come up with a list of the ones you like. We can take it from there a little better. And you'll be happier choosing the ones you like.

Dinarian7002

by Dinarian7002

thnaks for the elobarate reply!! am just shortlisting the species for the tank!!

i just need one help!! is 15 pairs of chiclids ok for the tank!! assuming all are gonna be kids

gumbii

by gumbii

only if they are 15 pairs of two different species... and how do you know if they are paired up...? you need a magnifying glass and a skilled eye to sex them out...

and don't get severums... they'll out grow your tank in a wile... they are huge fish as adults...

Dinarian7002

by Dinarian7002

i got to trust the shopkeeper on sexing them out!! if its gonna be 2 species wat are the species that you would suggest me!! is it ok if i put green terror with Auratus!!

13 posts • Page 1 of 2