Preparing for Apisto Cacutoides..

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

30 gallon Hex (real tall). RenaXP1 w/marineland powerhead/sponge filter. I have a PVC pipe cave which I've added rock around to create very small openings, corkscrew vals are going insane in the tank (I thin roughly 10-15 runners a week) along with narrow leaf/reg red leaf ludwigia, onion plants, java fern, micro sword, dwarf baby tears. Heat at 78. Black flourite sand.

Current tank inhabitants are: 3 Red skirt minor tetras, 3 celebes rainbows, 1 Striped Raphael cat (I fear may eat the eggs of a breeding pair) 2 otocinculus.

Anything I should consider before getting apistos this week? Should I reconsider altogether?

gumbii

by gumbii

i think the raphael will get big enought to eat the apistos and tetras you got in there wile they sleep...

my rafael used to eat 2" cichlids... seriously...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

The sources I checked say they'd only go after what would fit in their mouth..he'd have to have a huge mouth at 6" O.o I don't doubt you though. Maybe I'll arrange sending him off with his brothers. They went to a much larger tank and different home a few weeks ago. He's about 2.5" atm and has grown and inch since purchase. -.- The longer I wait the harder its gonna be to get him out of there without shredding a net...took me 15 mins to un-net one of his brothers while kept submerged. -.- I could use some corydoras in there anyway. I kinda anticipated the raphaels to stir things up in the bottom similarly to corys, boy was I wrong. They stir the plants up more than the crap on the bottom. -.-

My biggest concern is overcrowding the water column cause even 6 fish can seem like a lot at times. Personally I don't care if the apistos get aggressive and make the others cower, its the reverse I'm worried about. Power in numbers and such..

Do you think the apistos will be ok with a tall tank? I've found through trial and error unfortunately -- it seemed a bit much for any labyrinthine fish (specifically gouramis).

Thanks for the reply, it was you I was counting on. :)

gumbii

by gumbii

lol... get some synodontis... they do a great job on the gravel... not as good as a raphael though... those guys suck in the gravel and spit it out of thier gills... have you seen him do it...? he's probably too small... and they only do it in lights out...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Nah I haven't seen the Raph do it, guess he must be too small. I watched my old set of peppered corys sift like 3 lbs of sand an hour in my 16 gal, they're still mad sifting in my gf's 10 gal. lol.

I settled on a Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. I wanted apistos really bad but I don't have the balls to order online, so I went to my local (not so petsmart) LFS and the guy had some nice looking males, one he said he'd hold for me tomorrow to pick up along with a female or two as he said he was receiving a shipment tonight. He hasn't been able to get apistos for over a month.

Just another reason to consider getting my own R/O system. lol Almost all articles I've said encourage almost 100% R/O replacement for Rams..-.-

gumbii

by gumbii

i've had rams in my 100g for a long time... i have some that are 3 years old...

wouldn't you need to use like equilibrium or something for R/O water in freshwater...??

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah probly so. for electrolytes and such I guess. The thing that scares me most about this tank now taht I'm thinking about it is that the Rams seem to prefer a low GH and KH (probably the two water properties which I understand the least) which is where the R/O comes in, especially since I have a freaking open-top.

Am I making sense if I think that alkaline water enables the possibility of higher GH and KH in FW, or are the properties not linked? Hope I'm making a lick of sense...I guess I figure acidic water would break down minerals more, or something, similar to snails (their shells at least) not able to tolerate low PH cause it eats away at the shell..?

I need to find someone's DIY for lighting a hex 30..lol I have a lamp hanging over the freaking aquarium, and whats worse is its next to a door AND under the AC vent.

Water evaporates incredibly fast, and if I wait just a week I end up refilling with almost a gallon more than I take out. I guess this is ideal for building up minerals, GH, and KH?

gumbii

by gumbii

just get PC lights that fit... or make your own top with a 175w metal halide bulb...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well the new guys seem happy enough in their new home.. My Red Skirt Minor Tetras are bugging them a bit as I figured but I think the tides may turn soon. The male isn't putting up wtih it anymore. lol

I think I'm gonna construct a DIY top. MH would be ideal if included requiring a top, but aren't most MH setups supposed to hang about the surface pendant style?

Here's a pic of Tut, the male Ram. (9/9)

http://icedt83.spaces.live.com/photos/cns! (under 30 gallon (may)) stupid linker won't recongnize a freaking exclamation point.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I think most fish "prefer" a longer tank, since they naturally swim back forth, rather than up and down. And with a taller tank, your total number of fish should be fewer per gallon than with a wider tank. You probably know all that, but thought I'd chime in.

I like the little Cockatoos as well. I haven't done them yet because they can be so sensitive and I've had too many struggles of late with sensitive fish.

I haven't seem him around lately, but Poetic_Irony has experience with Cockatoos. We've talked about them a bit in private messages. He's had great success with them for some time.

Z

13 posts • Page 1 of 2