CALLING GUMBII OR MIAMI

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

seankh

CALLING GUMBII OR MIAMI

by seankh

OK i think my fish has been identified. Three different people on that cichlid website yall said to go on said it was a cross between a red zebra and a Melanochromis maingano. Does that sound right?

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, it is possible. I am not an expert at identifying hybrids so again I would trust what they say. The Melanochromis maingano has the horizontal striping that your fish is showing and the same general body shape so it possible. See what Gumbii thinks as well.

gumbii

by gumbii

i concur...

i knew it was some type of red cichlid mixed with a certain type of malachromis... i'm not that familiar with any of the melachromis... i just know that the are probably the most aggressive in the mbuna family... that's why i stay away from them... i had one auratus melachromis, and he started to kill all of my fish at one point... so i got rid of him... even thought he was a gorgeous fish IMO...

um... my book says that the maingano is a melanochromis cyaneorhabdos... maingano is a common name given to it... same face as your cichlid, but just blue... hmm... it says that both males and females are blue... basicly... it looks just like a johani... but i guess female johani's are orange, and these in female form are blue like i said...

well good luck on it... and watch out for it's aggressiveness...

seankh

by seankh

wow that worked well .if you call on em they will come.... lol thanks guys

gumbii

by gumbii

lol... you're welcome...

CALLING GUMBII OR MIAMI

5 posts