Do internal filters work or are they a waste of money?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Besides my 10 gallon tank I have a betta fish in a big vase. I was at the aquarium store today and bought an internal filter for this vase. I am not sure if thsi was such a good idea

It is composed of a small air pump which connects to the bottom of this filter cartridge that is submerged under water. The air is pumped at the bottom of the cartridge and some bubbles come out at the top of the cartridge. The cartridge contains some white foam material + big black rocks that look like carbon/charcoal.

What I dont understand is how is it supposed to filter out the water? Is it effective? Any of you guys use this type of filter before?

Thanks.

gumbii

by gumbii

i would of just gotten a sponge filter... those are really great... but they aggitate the surface so the betta's don't like it... but it should be fine... anything is better than nothing...

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

a vase? (((cries for the fish)))

gumbii

by gumbii

better than a cup... and now it has a filter...

also... the vase is going to go in a cycle... i would do some waterchanges and check the water params as well... also... only use R/O water for that betta vase...

just make sure you take great care of it... i don't mind the vase... a 10g tank would be awesome... but like i said... a vase is better than a cup...

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

This vase is huge and it has already had water in it for over a month, tests show it is cycled. Its a one of those big square vases, its like a nano tank.

gumbii

by gumbii

that's dope then... i would get some plants in there... like pothos... that does really well in vase's and other tanks...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Whatever you're using for filtration don't agitate the water too much. Bettas hate current, subsequently bubblers or air infusers. They're labyrinthine fish and are naturally equipped and adept to breathing from the surface of the water.

It didn't take long for me to realize that keeping one in a heavily filtered community tank was a horrible idea. Even though there wasn't a great deal of current there was enough to upset and kill the betta within a few days.

My gf has had one in a bowl unfiltered for over a year now. He does just fine.

As for internal stuff...I have a fluval internal (filters 35gph or so) on my desktop 5gal puffer tank as supplemental filtration for the POS integrated marineland one. Works fine as mechanical filtration. Semi-ok biological too but no chemical.

7 posts