Hurry please help, newbie keeps losing angel fish

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

drunkbutterfly

by drunkbutterfly

Hello,
I am new to this, I have had my tank running for at least 6 months. I went thru the cycling of the tank months ago. Everytime I check my water, it seems perfect. We didn't buy these fish until after the tank cycled. Two days ago we noticed that one of our angelfish was acting strange. He seemed to be swimming without any control, upside down, backward, kept floating up to the top of the tank and just seemed to be sick. He died later that night. He showed no symptoms the day before. Now I have another angel that seems to be doing the same thing. Therefore, I don't think he will make it thru the day. I am really getting upset, since it seems that everything should be fine. The water tests perfect, the tank is very clear. I do regular 25% water changes. Please someone can you provide some insight to what may be happening before we lose all of our angels.

gumbii

by gumbii

get a test kit...

need to see your water parameters, along with temp, filtration, size, and what other fish are in there...

drunkbutterfly

by drunkbutterfly

I am using a Rena smartfilter 30 on a 29 gallon tank
There are now 3 angels left (the sick died about an hour ago) 1 gourami and a pleco

temp is 78
Nitrate is 0
Nitrite is 0
Hardness is at 75
Chlorine is 0
Akalinity is at 80
PH is 6.5
Ammonia is 0

gumbii

by gumbii

nitrate at 0..????

sounds like your tank hasn't finished cycling... did you cycle with fish in the tank...? or the amonia/dead shrimp method...?

drunkbutterfly

by drunkbutterfly

I am using the test strips so my numbers may not be exact. I will admit I didn't research it enough before we had purchased the fish, therefore we lost almost all the fish we had in there the gourami being the only survivor. After I had read more about it, we had waited until it after the ammonia and nitrites spiked and went back down to a safe level, before we added more fish.

drunkbutterfly

by drunkbutterfly

The tank has been running smoothly with all of the water tests at what seems to be normal levels for a few months now. So I was under the impression that it had finished cycling. I am going to buy a real test kit, because maybe the test strips are telling me enough.

gumbii

by gumbii

you should have a couple of nitrates... like 10-20 is allright...

also... don't do to many changes to that tank... don't add alot of fish at once...

drunkbutterfly

by drunkbutterfly

We had been adding one at a time. The two that just died, one we had for about two months, the other for 3 weeks.

drunkbutterfly

by drunkbutterfly

Since I only have the test strips, its hard for me to know what the nitrates really are. According to the strip, it is less than 20.

gumbii

by gumbii

how about taking some water to a local fish store... they will sometimes check your water for free... i know mine will...

11 posts • Page 1 of 2