red zebra question?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

seanh339

red zebra question?

by seanh339

iIwoke up this morning and my red zebra was no longer its orange color. The bottom half is now black and its fins are blue. Is this normal?

gumbii

by gumbii

nope... maybe not a real red zebra... do you have any pics...? how old/big is it...?

seankh

by seankh

My red zebra looks like it has dark lines in it but has never completly changed colors. Im going with gumbii maybe you dont have a real red zebra

gumbii

by gumbii

auratus maybe...? um... a. morchriastus comes into mind... but the dorsal would have turned black as well...

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, I have never heard or seen this before. The male red zebra fins will turn translucent blue when he colors up, but that is about it. Never heard of one turning black. Post a pic so we can see what you are talking about.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I don't know much about this fish type, but I read something once that this type of fish will turn light blue at the fins and the bottom of the fish will have deep blue lines. This means it is a male.

Are you sure the color is not deep dark blue instead of black? It is probably deep dark blue. And as far as I know, this is normal coloring for a male.

hope this helps

miami754

by miami754

The blue color morph male does appear in the wild (in fact orange males are not found in the wild to my knowledge). Once the dominant male reaches 2.5 inches, he will start to turn blue. The females remain orange their whole lives. I have not seen this "turning blue" in my aquarium raised red zebras, but perhaps yours is behaving more like the wild ones. Is it the dominant male and is it around 2.5"? Is it a F0, F1, or F2? If you do have the blue color morph then you have a pretty rare morph in the aquarium trade. Congrats if that is the case. I would like to see a pic still to confirm that is what it is.

red zebra question?

7 posts