Freshwater guy

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tien6079

Freshwater guy

by Tien6079

I used to think saltwater fishtanks were so much nicer than freshwater, but my mind has gradually changed. I am now finding freshwater setups to be much more intruiging than saltwater. I do not mean to diss saltwater people as I want a saltwater tank my myself. Ignoring the cost and maintenance differences between the two hobbies, I think freshwater is more visually stunning. I realize I have a skewed opinion because all I own is freshwater, but i am wondering if anyone else feels the same way and why. Like I said, cost and maintanence are two big factors, but I want to ignore them for this discussion. Imagine that both hobbies require the same amount of time and cost the same. What would you prefer? The reason I bring this up is because I was visiting the Shark Reef in Mandalay Bay here in Las Vegas (for the 6th time in 2 years...)when I had an epiphany. I was drawn to the freshwater tanks more than the saltwater. If you have been there, you will know what I am talking about. The cichlid pond is stunning and the extreemly large freshwater tank with the rays and arowanas was mesmorizing. I spent more time at those exhibits than I did looking at any of the sharks!

gumbii

by gumbii

they each have thier quirks...

but i know that freshwater has it's gems... like cichlids and predators...

but... when i see a gorgeous planted tank, i think of them in the class to a saltwater reef... a heavily planted tank has to have a ballance and equilibrium just like a reef... water quality, filtration, lighting and nutrients...

i have both now... well... more freshwater than salt... i only have a 90g saltwater cube... and my freshwater collection is HUGE... 10 100g tanks, 2 60g tanks, a couple of 10g growout tanks, two 7,000g ponds, one 13,000g pond and a 21,000g pond...

not that i like freshwater more... i'm just slowly getting into the salt hobie... i'm thinking about getting rid of two species tanks to get SW predators... but i'm still thinking hard about it...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Saltwater and freshwater are actually about the same cost and time. You could argue that some spend more time and money on their freshwaters than some with their salts.

Anyways, I started with a 6 gallon eclipse freshwater tank. I liked it but grew tired of it. Then I bought a 30 gal and decided to do salt. I spent way too much on fish and not enough on filtration or other stuff to improve quality and they all died of ich from a flame angel i bought that hadn't been in the store tank yet. Honestly, I like salt more. It's soo much more beautiful and colors are more vivid. Things seem more alive. Freshwater can also be nice but I think it takes a lot more work to make a freshwater tank compete in looks with a saltwater. I like saltwater more but do not have one at this time. I kind of want to get a biocube, they are awesome and incredibly inexpensive for the setup. A sump costs more.

gumbii

by gumbii

in either one you could go the cheap route and still have a healthy succsessfull environment...

dude i'm destroying the english language...

there's always the DIY route and many things that you don't necessarily need in both of the tanks needs... you just need a bit of knowledge of how to tijuana stuff up...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea you could make an entire system for cheap in either case if you are a handy man. Me im not so good or maybe just dont want to apply myself. Although I have been watching a lot of DIY videos on youtube and such, storing the info for later use.

gumbii

by gumbii

yeah... there's tons of info and how-to's online... it's great...

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I will stay with the freshwater setup for a few years before I even get into the saltwater aspect of this hobby.

It's true, like the other member said, saltwater tanks are much more vivid in color, the fish come in many more colors, sizes, and the water quality would be more of a challenge considering the salt levels need to be looked after.

Of course the cost is more with saltwater because of all the gadgets one must buy just to get the water quality balanced. So I will put this off for a little while longer. Figure 2013 or thereabouts, I may go for it.

But you know, all fish have personality. Every single freshwater fish I have all have their own personality. It's incredible to watch. Who would think a fish would have personality. They all have their own quirks, their own food tastes, their own temperaments. It's incredible. (I wish I had gotten into this hobby when I was a boy; I always went for the mice, rats, and turtles...I used to have an awesome turtle pond in the backyard until one of my dogs got a hold of one turtle...within days, all the turtles scrambled away during the night...smart little guys (crap, I would too if I saw a "wolf" looking down at me. I am 49 years old, on May 6, 2008 I bought my fish 2 zebra danios. Outside of the rats and turtles, this is such an awesome hobby. Just balancing the water quality, just respecting good bacteria is such a challenge and thrill...yes a thrill. I really adore this hobby, there is so much to learn. I use to have my rats all over the house, very well tamed...too bad I can't let the fish stroll around the house; unless I was Bill Gates and I could have a custom built fish tank that went from side to side all around a room, wow, what a kick lol)

Anyway, for now, I will stay with freshwater until I learn the hobby more. The freshwater fish and live plants I do have now are a challenge and an absolute joy as it is...maybe someday, I'll get a saltwater tank...now, I will stay with this joy).

I too am a Freshwater Guy.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Great feedback. I too love the colors of salt water, but I enjoy the personalityies of freshwater fish. Someone mentioned building your own tank for cheap. My entire 120 gallon setup only cost me $600. I bought the tank, stand and canopy for 250 from craigs list. The wood was beat to heck. I spent a month and a half fixing the wood and creating custom piping and ports behind all of the rock. My next step will be a better light, but the one I want is $250! Anyway, back to the topic. I really find freshwater setups relaxing. Saltwater inspires me to go to the Carribean and party, while a green freshwater tank makes me want to relax in front of it and read a book. It is a great relaxing agent when coming home from a long day of work.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I prefer freshwater, too. I like the driftwood/heavy plant look. Amazonian. LOL I like that green, grown, natural look. Saltwater can be eye-catching, in someone else's living room. :) So many people talk about the colors of saltwater, but I don't really like it. It looks like a tank full of those yellow, green and pink neon colors that were so popular in the 80's. I think I had sweatshirts in the yellow and green.....but I was young.

Freshwater!

Zambize

gumbii

by gumbii

the most relaxing tanks i have are my koi ponds... that's the most relaxing... freshwater to me is very stressfull... in some tanks, the water has to be perfect and after the fish spawn, or the fry grow out, i have to modify the biological filtration... plus, i keep needing to setup more and MOAR grow-out tanks... it doesn't stop...

saltwater is something new and challenging to me... that's why i'm doing it now... that, and it's in my living room... so i think that's baller to have in your living room... nothing catches the eye better than a flame angel, or a mustard tang...

Freshwater guy

13 posts • Page 1 of 2