water changes

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

newfishman07

water changes

by newfishman07

my tank is new, it has cycled and i am about to add the last few fish, how long should i wait before i do the first water change. by the way it is a 55 gallon tank with a eheim ecco canister filter for a 80 gallon tank...i feed once a day for 3days then oneday without feeding..all the fish are small i have giant danios, zebra danios, otto's, gouramis, clown loachs. will be adding 2 more loachs and 2 more gouramis, and 1 or 2 bala sharks and maybe a red tail shark..kinda want them all to grow up together

javahava82

Re: water changes

by javahava82

there's a discussion of cycling here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 636AANMoEF

and more info on maintenance here:

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/article1.php

a 15% water change or so is probably a good idea. best of luck!

Malawi_Mother

by Malawi_Mother

Dealing with bala sharks previously, do you know that those minos get way to big for a 55 gal? They are great when they are small but I have seen full size and I am telling you, they get huge. I have seen them in a 300 gal tank and was impressed at their potential. Not only do they get over a foot long but they are about 8 inches from top to bottom and about 6 inches wide. You may want to reconsider them when they get a little bigger or get a new larger tank. And I am very curious as to why you feed them for a couple days and then not for one day. I have been dealing with tetra and African cichlids for a very long time and I even run a forum for African cichilds and never have I heard anyone say that before. Would like to understand the theory behind that.

newfishman07

by newfishman07

thanks for your response. yes i do know that they get big, and i will be upgrading to a larger tank.Will get another 55gallon then will move up to something in the neighborhood of 155 or larger. The reason they are fed like that would be because i am a flight attendant so i am not home everynight. hence the feeding schedule. I have been reading everything i can get on cichlids and i really like the LAKE TANGANYIKA cichlids, was wanting to put the bala shark in with them. I have a friend that also is a flight attendant and he has bala's in with the cichlids. I really like the discus but i dont think that i can have them with my schedule.

newfishman07

by newfishman07

what do u think about a 175 gallon all shark tank with a few loachs

bichiraddict855

by bichiraddict855

Would be nice but remember if you had the idea of getting an id shark I wouldn't friend had a 4 foot id shark in pond a year back the pond was 15,000 gallons.

newfishman07

by newfishman07

thanks for the info...and no i wasent thinking about a id shark.....maybe something along the lines of bala sharks, albino rainbow sharks, rainbow sharks, red tail shark, a few silver dollars and a few loaches

suicidal

by suicidal

Be careful mixing up too many of the rainbows, albino rainbows, and red tailed black sharks, unless you're looking for the "royal rumble" approach.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I have a 55 gallon tank too. I water change twice a week, 9 gallon each time. I siphon out 9 gallons on Monday, then another 9 gallons on Thursday, a total of 18 gallon a week. Which puts it about 25-30% water change a week.

Average % a week is 15-25%. YOu should get in the habit of water changing per week. I have a log book that I keep, notate everything you do.

A water change is equal to a river in the sense that water in a river is never the same. It constantly flows, changes. This is the reason water changes is a must. I am sure your fish will appreciate it. It's their instinct to have changing water aka water changes.

hope this helps

water changes

9 posts