Help quick, what's wrong with my fish?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I have a Paradise Fish that began hiding yesterday. Today it looks like the top of his head is white-looking. On closer inspection, which isn't easy to do, maybe his scales are just more pronounced, or something. It doesn't look like Ich or fungus. I doubt he's being picked on, he's the biggest and he's usually running the tank. The water parameters are fine, but the water has had a cloudy white look lately that water changes don't seem to affect. The other fish are fine.

Help!
Zambize

darkruby

by darkruby

It could be bloating from a disease from inside the fish which could lead to the symptom of the white spot on the head. Be careful for if it turns into a hole-in-the-head it is a bad sign and you need to treat him.
Of course this is worse case sinario(not sure how to spell that) and it could just something less dramatic.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Wish I coulld help Z. I don't know about Paridise fish. Good luck.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Isn't the pfish a type of gourami? You're describing similar symptoms to what I saw on my gouramis..well, to a T actually other than the cloudy water..

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

The paradise fish is a type of gourami. It's very similar to a Betta and can live in smaller, unfiltered containers (if a person is apt to do that to a defenseless fish...). Anyway, the fish died.

T -- did you figure out what was wrong with your gourami?

I'm wondering if this was dropsy.

Zambize

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Too bad about fishy. Maybe a temp change or some salt would help ward off disease and help keep the slime coats healthy. I have fish die ocasionally, and I usually feel I could have prevented these deaths by controling these two things.

I have a really good handle on my benneficial bacteria, so I think, except for the unwanted contamination with parisites like ick, that some salt and a high enough temp are the biggest controlable factors.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I think I mentioned it earlier but I went through 4 Gourami's in the 30 gal. The first two died from what I believe to be NTS. The second two succumbed to what you're describing. The whitness on the head, loss of coloration in other parts of hte body, the hiding, not eating when food is put in...

I'm done putting labyrinthine fish in my heavily circulated tanks. I think the top-breathers just aren't suited for fast moving waters. What probably made it worse is my tank is taller than wide, and if they wish to swim down, they ahve to return all the way up to get some air, and I think that was tiresome, even for a relatively active fish, which probably made them more susceptible to disease even though I pre-treat with salt.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

My temp is only 75. I'd like it higher, but my Corydoras wouldn't like it. I keep my Betta tanks at least 80. They love it. I don't add salt because all fish can't have it. I know it benefits those that like it though.

Thanks everybody

Zambize

(T - I do remember the thread with your 4 gourami...I was too blinded by my own fish drama to think....)

8 posts