Harsh ratings?

62 posts • Page 1 of 7

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Are we harsh on each others ratings?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 18

LDSCHMIDT296713

Harsh ratings?

by LDSCHMIDT296713

As I go through here rating tanks I can't help but notice how low everyone's rating's are! And on some really nice tanks too! Some of these peoples tanks take a lot of hard work, time, and money. This is our hobby. Shouldn't we be supporting each other. Through constructive criticism, or motivation. I'm not saying we rate everyone a ten but maybe support the beginners and give the experienced some credit. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Personally I feel the pics of my gars are really cool and my 100 gallon planted tank is also pretty nice and my ratings are about average. I think that most people who are really into planted tanks eventually go to co2 and they like their tanks to be way too overgrown in my opinion. The most important thing to me is for me to be happy with my tanks. I guess it would be nice to have the ego rub of being at the top of the ratings but as the years go by I've realised more and more that if you depend on other people to make you happy you'll end up mostly not. Much of what makes my tanks nice is in the extra filters and the thought I've put into creating balanced communities of fish and other creatures, things that are hard to show in pictures. I rarely go into the ratings part of this website as there will always be some really fine tanks and I'm not really into this as a competition.

I think that the people on this forum tend to be pretty generous with each other if you stay long enough to get to know us. I've been pretty direct with some people who have asked in a post about how to make their tanks look better and for the most part I think folks mostly want to be told their tanks are perfect. That's life with humans I guess!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

it appears I am the only one (so far) who voted "no"

NO?!

if you read about Rate My Fish Tank, the owner of this web site stated a very good thing in his statement, to give the members ideas on how to make a fish tank look better, to share ideas.

Rating a fish tank gives someone an average looking from the outside in. Of course everyone's tastes are different, of course everyone has worked hard in setting up their fish tank (hobby), of course everyone spent more monies and maintained their fish tanks...of course of course...but the entire point of this web site is to rate a tank.

do you propose we just have a web site with profiles with pictures of our tanks and commentary, or do you believe we have a sharing community of fishkeepers who have that one more added benefit to rate a tank and to give commentary

I have an almost average tank even though I spent over $1000.00 on the tank plus more monies for the live plants and fish, so around $1500.00, so I can get an average rating? apparently I have some work left to do (so far, this site has given me many ideas, soon I will apply them)

the point is, if you can get something out of this web site experience, then great...if your feelings are hurt because of a rating, then possibly this type of web site is not for you...and I do not mean to be harsh. There are plnety fish forums out there. This fish forum gives ratings, some bad, some good, some deserved some not...the point is, the web site is entitled: Rate my Fish Tank

so rate it...not everyone is a winner. when the web site owner decides to give $1000.00 away as a first time winner for the best tank of the year award, and you have spent much time, energy, money on your tank and you lose, then maybe you have a legitimate gripe...until then, just enjoy the site and learn from the comments

hope this "harsh" comment helps

miami754

by miami754

Yasher, I think the point the author was trying to make is that even the really good tanks are rated low. Look at the top ones and you will see even they rank in the 7s or possibly low 8s. I think they just meant that the entire scale is skewed downward and I have to agree. I think that results from people just jacking around and not giving much thought to the tanks or people purposely messing around and giving all zeros. Anyway, that is what he/she meant (I assume) - not that they couldn't handle it.

faile486

by faile486

I don't think 'we' - meaning the people who take the time to come into the forums - rate each other unfairly. It's just some people going through and screwing around that messes the ratings up.

LDSCHMIDT296713

by LDSCHMIDT296713

Well I defiantly wasn't expecting this much of response. No one feelings were hurt trust me. You would have to try a lot harder than that. I think for the most part Miami is right. In no right do i think my current tank rates a 5 let alone a 10. Just seen some guys and gals who you can tell spend a lot of time and money and should get a 10 but instead they have a 6 and Ive also seen people tell people that there Betta bowl stinks and that they need a tank. We all must start somewhere! Well these are great posts, keep em' coming!

Tien6079

by Tien6079

I must say that I have mixed feelings on this subject. I have seen some photos that did not deserve their rating and I have seen others that deserved a much higher rating. I was surprised to find that one of my own pictures did very well in the ratings while I thought it was the worst of all the fish pictures I have posted. I do agree that the overall ratings seem to be lower on the scale. It seems that as far as freshwater fish are concerned, a rating of 7 will put you in the top 5.

I feel I am fair at rating, but I do frequently give low scores. I find so many photos people take with there cell phones and appear very small on screen. I find countless photos that are out of focus or you just see the tail of the fish as it is swimming away. I rarely give these photos over a 3. I judge pictures not only by the beauty of the tank and its inhabitants, but also by the quality of the picture. I am no photo expert, but I know what looks good and what doesn't. You can have a bombin tank, but if your picture is not in focus or there are people in the backgraound that can be seen through your tank, forget a good score. Take the time to post high quality photos. I have seen some absolutely amazing photos on this site that I rate 8-10. These have been the motivation for my tank and have given me countless ideas. Maybe I am too harsh and shouldn't rate based on picture quality, but rather focus entirely on the tank setup and the fish. What do you think?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

exactly like Tien said "focus entirely on the tank setup and the fish"...if I see a tank that does not suit a particular fish well, regardless if the person spent over $1000 for it, I will still give a 3. It may sound infantile, but I respect a fish's needs. A person can have all the gadgets in the world in their tanks, all the plant life, all the rocks/ledges, etc, I still give it a 3 if, for instance, a danio is living in a tank with no water movement (as one can tell by reading the description of the equipment). I look for a balance, an ecosystem. If a fish at a size of 4" is in a 10 gallon tank but yet you know the fish will grow to over 12" long, the tank gets a big fat zero.

Some tanks are really cool: lighting, filtration, areation, substrate, decor, live plants, fish, invertabres all work or are at a balance, the tank gets a 10 regardless if the person spent only $400 on the tank; on the other hand, if someone spent $5000 for a freshwater tank yet the fish inhabitants do not get along, the tank gets a 0.

I look for an ecosystem. I do not have to live in the tank. The fish do as well as the live plants. I do not like to live in a house that has no bathrooms (filtration), that has no spigots (no water changes), that has no electrcity (lighting), that has no furniture (decor), and that has poor circulation (areation/gas exchange). Think about it.

Do not just rate the photos, but also read all the data.

I understand there are some people who like to just mark 000000000 all the time because they think themselves cute or like to misbehave, and I am sure there are many out there like that. But try to remember, the owner of this web site screens each photo and data before it is approved. Do you think the owner of this web site also "approves" or "rates" our data and photo with a grimace. I am sure the owner of this web site takes time to check out if the newbie really wants to participate or just wants to kid around.

Ecosystem, this is the key. I am learning as I view the photos and data on this web site. Let's not get our egos all twirled about. Get what you can out of this web site, pass it on to others, and enjoy. Fishkeeping is a relaxing hobby...so relax.

hope this helps

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Wow. You guys have put in a lot more thought to this than I have. I guess I'll just say that I think everyone here has some really good points. There are obviously a few people on these sites that not only use different usernames but vote themselves higher with them and others lower. I say get a life!

There is also the fact that producing a great picture has a lot of elements that include a good camea, good lighting, good framing and composition, and a worthy subject. I am slightly bummed that my fish didn't get much of a rating, but they blend in and I like to have gravel that they can use their camafloge in.

I don't know. Some people like things that are all flowery, some like to have more natural settings, and yes, a fantastic picture does stand out. My favorite pics are some of the planted tanks where people have obviously put a lot of money into lights, co2 systems, and complicated fertilizing regimes,, not to mention the fish.

I hope to have my 2 favorite tanks looking good in a matter of months and I have a 300 plus gallon tank to make as well. The day everything is perfect and I have a good camera to document it is far from now.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

1. An expensive-looking tank means nothing, and shouldn't.

2. You should look at the average ratings, not whether you got an 8 or 10. Above average is great.

3. I didn't answer the question because I don't know who "we" is. I think some others can rate harshly, but I don't.

4. I do think the site should have ratings. I think it's fun.

Zambize

Harsh ratings?

62 posts • Page 1 of 7