getting a rating of zero?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

why do people keep rating my pictures zero's? I dont expect them to be rated like 9 or 10 but at least somethign better than 0!

gumbii

by gumbii

how do you know what people give it..???

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

according to your profile, the tank was rated only once...some of your fish pics are blurry plus your tank water looks a little hazy. Also, my advice, you need to build up the decor in your tank, and add more plant life (preferably live plants)

I hope this helps (if I find your pic, I will rate it at 5 or average...not 0)

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Some people are just stupid. I would give your tank a 5, certainly not a 0. The lower half of the tank looks really nice, but the top is empty. You need plants that extend higher in the back or a nice full floater on the top. Cover up the filter and heater with plants. Visible mechanics always detracts from the picture.

It really hurts the picture that the water looks hazy. Maybe it's the lighting, or the flash, picture quality, or maybe it really is hazy. Either way, get rid of the haze. Better focus is a must.

I don't agree that live plants are preferable. I have two artificially planted tanks that are in the top 30 out of 4000 or so pictures. See my profile.

Zambize

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

not trying to be rude but you say that I need to build up decor, your tank has barely anything in it?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I have active or fast moving fish (danios, tetras) so I needed to leave enough room especially at the top and middle part of the tank so these fish can swim freely or unhindered. I do have plants to the left which live; then in the middle and right side, I have artificial planting. I do have a large bridge and a Neptune God of the Sea with a Roman column decoration (I wanted to have a theme which related to the sea).

What I meant as far as your tank was concerned, was put more cave like structures in the tank so the fish can hide and nest. Also possibly more planting will help hide the clear part of the tank in the rear like the other member said.

You must adjust the tank to be compatible with the fish you have (and the live plants if you choose to go this route...I agree with zambize on the live plant issue, tanks do get highly rated even with artificial planting, what I say I prefer live plants is because of the ecosystem. Aquariums are not just to make things look cool for us humans, fish must live in the tank 24/7, and with live plants, they use the fertilizer from the fish, they can provide food for some fish (if you go this route), and they are another challenge for the fishkeeper plus the water quality is better because oxygen in the tank is supplemented by the plants.

So live plants is the preferable way to go if you want an overall ecosystem. But artificial plants are fine too, they are much easier to "plant", they come in all different shapes and sizes, if there is a lot of areation in the tank, the artificial plants will sway with the leaves (as in my tank, I have 5 air stones in the corner behind a piece of driftwood which makes for a lot of agitation at the surface).

So it's your choice. Keep the fish (and if you go the route of live plants) and lives plants in mind when you decorate the tank. Ecosystem is the key word. As fishkeepers we want to arrive as close as possible to an ecosystem as we can.

Hope this info helps

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

Sorry about sounding like a spaz, but im just frusterated, ever since I got my live plants I have had nothing but trouble. They continue to turn brown and die, or yellow and start to decay. I use a chemical for nutrients (high on iron) and a flora glo light, no C02 or special substarte. Do you think if I made a bottom layer of plant substrate covered by my original gravel would help? Byt the way I do like your tank, what kind of live plants do you recomend to cover my dead spots, especialy tall ones...

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I found that any type of anubias (nana, coffeefolia, barteri round leaf, hastofolia, all sold at Live Aquaria) do very well in a freshwater tank. All of my anubias(s) are doing well. Very green, no die back, no yellowing. I do use a Flourish Tablet (aquariumguys.com), I place one tablet every 3-4 months deep in the gravel.

You can attach the anubias to driftwood or rock, their roots will take very well (or in gravel; but best on wood). And I would suggest to get some Olive Nerite Snails, these little guys will keep the leaves very clean, no algae (for algae will block the pores of the leaf preventing it from taking in vital nutrients).

Your fish will fertilize the plants with their waste.

If you put too much fertilizer in the tank, the plants will get too much iron, and believe it or not, the plant stems will begin to wither away.

I frown upon too much chemicals. Get Flourish Tablets, one tablet every 3-4 months (each package comntains 10 tablets which should last up to 18 months). Let the fish's waste fertilize the plants natrally. And I hate to have you get all new plants but if you go with anubias, I promise you, it will not be a wasted effort.

Anubias do very well in low light cnditions, they are a very hardy plant, very easy to care for, and though they are slow growers, in about 6 months to a year's time, via runners, the plants will spread out all over your tank.

Just find what works best for your tank. And go with it. You only have to please your fish, live plants, good bacteria and invertebrates...and in the end, you will please yourself for a job well done. And I am sure, in time, even have others admire your hard work.

hope this helps

8 posts