new tank I need help with fish ideas

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

robert95687

by robert95687

I just got a 210 gallon tank, and I want some ideas on new fish. I currently have 3 Featherfin Catfish 2.5-7 in, 4 Tinfoil Barbs 3in, 6 Cory's, 2 Loaches and 2 Dojo's. What fish will be good with them. They all get along well now and I want my new tank to stay harmonious. I wanted to get an Oscar or a Pacu, but I think I am asking for trouble. Any suggestions?

OscarFan18

by OscarFan18

I wouldn't suggest an Oscar with other fish especially if they are small. He will kill them. A pacu isn't as aggressive however, their large size makes them difficult to take of. They can get up to 2-3 feet.

robert95687

by robert95687

Even if I get an Oscar of the same size? You think he may give the other fish trouble? Maybe I get him last as a baby after all my fish are adults and can swim in schools. I was just thinking that an Oscar is such a dirty eater, no matter how many cleaner fish I have, I may not have enough. Does your Oscar dirty the tank with Cichlid pellets as well as fresh fish? I like the look of Oscars, but I am trying to keep a low maintenance tank too. I am also concerned that a Pacu may get too big for my tank and I don't want to raise some fish only to have to get rid of them or worse, eat them. Thanks for the reply.

OscarFan18

by OscarFan18

If you get an Oscar the same size it will quickly out grow the other fish. I would assume beacuse of their agressive nature that he would hurt them. I have a Pacu bigger than him sharing the same tank and he still picks on him. They are fire crackers. They all have their own distinct personality, which is really cool to watch them grow.His tank is not that bad. But it is hard to keep decorations, they make plants float and knock over boats and stuff. I don't feed my Oscar fresh fish. You really shouldn't, because they are susceptible to Hole-in-the head disease. A healthy treat for Oscars are crickets.

robert95687

by robert95687

How big is your Pacu, how old is he and how big is your tank? I just think ok, now what do I do that he can't turn around in the tank.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Look on the Internet for Feather-fin catfish concerning good tank-mates. They are aggressive, can do well with African Cichlids, and can get to 8 inches long. You have a nice big tank (I'm envious) so as long as you have plenty of filtration I don't see any problems. I have a 100 gallon with 2 huge power-heads pulling water through about 5 inches of substraight, and 2 canister filters at 100 and 175 gallon capacity each. I have some messy fish, so I would suggest that if you stock your tank heavily to get extra filters for it. About Oscars and Pacu: I don't know.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Pacu's get2-3 feet long?!!! I wonder how they taste? Pacu fillet!

OscarFan18

by OscarFan18

My Pacu is around 2 year old and a little over a foot long. My tank is a 55 gallon. The 2 co exist nicely but any more fish would be disasterous! I had my Oscar for 6 years. They have plenty of room to turn around and swim. But I would like to invest in a bigger tank someday. =)

8 posts