Beginner Cichlid tank?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Kyle6621

Beginner Cichlid tank?

by Kyle6621

I am considering going with a few cichlids in my 29 gallon tank. I have had a fish tank before but this would be my first cichlid tank. Can anyone recommend some (smaller?) chichlids that would do well in a 29 gal and are fairly easy to care for as a cichlid newbie? All I have is a catfish and some tetras in the tank right now. I know the tetras will probably get eaten... it happens.
My water is pretty hard. From what I have read, most of the Cichlids i have looked at require softer water. I guess I will do a couple water changes with some store bought RO water or something.

Tips? suggestions? I want to do it right.
Thanks guys

jweb1369

by jweb1369

African cichlids are very pretty, if your going for looks. However they tend to have a higher temperment than others, and your tetras will almost certainly be lost. They like hard water so that is good. If you want them to be more comfortable and prosper than a higher pH is recommended. In the case of cichlids it is preferable to overstock your aquarium, add a fish or so extra to your normal limit, as this will even out the aggression. The average size is about 5"-6" adult. You can look at my pics of my recently set up 30 gallon African tank. They are all young and about 2"-3.5". That might help.

Also, you could go with dwarf cichlids, which they have some from almost every category. The downfall is that they are most likely going to be hard to find unless you order them.

In the end I would say look on a website like liveaquaria.com and see what you like. Read up on them and then see if they are at your LPS. If not, always have second picks ready.

Kyle6621

by Kyle6621

Thanks for the reply!
I was looking at them on liveaquaria too. It seems like the recommend at least a 50 gallon tank for most of the African Cichlids. They do seem to like a higher PH though. Doesnt say anything about hardness.
So they seem to be less agressive with more fish than just a few? I would assume it would be the other way around.
That is a nice set up you have!

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Thank you. What I meant by overstocking is that it spreads out the aggression so one doesn't get picked on more than another one. Also I find that liveaquaria.com usually recommends the tank size on a higher scale. Depending on the size of the fish as long as it is under 6" full grown adult size I would say that a 30 gallon is usually fine. The pH in my tank is around 8, but high 7's should be fine. Usually if you add a sand substrate this will automatically maintain the pH around those levels and you will not have to monitor it constantly. Hardness should be atleast moderate hardness, as long as it is in the middle or higher end of the scale it should be fine.

seankh

by seankh

heres what i have in my 40 gallon sees to work out well. 1 wouldnt put 10 if i were you maybe 5
2 rusty
2 cobalt blues
1 kenyi
1 red zebra
1 yelow lab
1 electric blue
1 yellow-finned acei

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I have 8 cichlids in mine and I have a 30 gallon but I am starting to think that I'm pushing my luck. I will buy a larger tank soon most likely.

One thing to remember is that with the extra fish load it is imperative to have good filtration of the water.

fishbone314

by fishbone314

A 29 gallon tank is quite small for a cichlid tank. For a tank that size I would suggest 3-5 fish, pushing it. True having a high number of fish does bring down the aggression, some, but they will still stake out territory, which requires a larger tank. Cichlids also LOVE rocks. Might I suggest some lovely holey rock or lace rock. Build it up so there are plenty of little caves and taverns to hide in. If your city's water is already hard, that's great. But cichlids prefer a higher pH level. There is a product on the market called Proper pH - 8.2. That would be a great way to bring up that pH. (Oh and one more thing, if you do upgrade to a big tank, beware breeding...Cichlids breed LIKE CRAZY!!!)

Beginner Cichlid tank?

7 posts