sump for fresh water......

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

so i have a 10 gallon tank, not in use at the moment, and i wanted to turn it into a little extra filtration for my 55 gallon planted. now i know alot of bigger tanks with sumps are drilled with and overflow, mine is not how do i get the water from my tank to flow through the sump without risk of draining the whole tank during a poweroutage or something like that or a failed return pump?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If you can put both tanks so the water surface of both is at the same level I don't see why you couldn't run a siphon for the return. I'm not really sure what the purpose of a sump is actually. I see the bennefit if there is bio-filter material in the sump, but other than that I don't know the reason to use one.

kspops

by kspops

Best bet would be to use a filter box on the inside as well as the outside, same as the saltwater tanks. The inner box will break the siphon if the water level drops below the edge. then you just have a tank full of water below, instead of a floor covered in water. I know there is a U tube used, I will try to get the correct name.

kspops

by kspops

Best bet would be to use a filter box on the inside as well as the outside, same as the saltwater tanks. The inner box will break the siphon if the water level drops below the edge. then you just have a tank full of water below, instead of a floor covered in water. I know there is a U tube used, I will try to get the correct name. It is called an overflow box.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Dude if you're like me go to a local mom and pop LFS, and just ask them to see a sump. I know of several in my area that have top-off/overflow sumps or w/e on their display tanks.

I learn best visually, this might be easier for you also. Trying to picture in my head what kspops just described is difficult. The physics of it (water level with other water) is easy to comprehend but not boxes inside boxes with u-pipes. lol. I'm a moron.

5 posts