Nitrite Problem - Need Help!

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

faile486

by faile486

The spots have disappeared! I'm still concerned about the nitrite levels though...Anyone live in the LA area and have some extra seeded sponge? The levels have been consistently rising. I could do a water change, but I'd have to add Prime to dechlorinate, but if it eliminates all the nitrite then the bacteria won't have anything to eat...

What do you think about adding drops of Prime until the Nitrite level goes back down to 1.5 mg/l? That should give the bacteria something to munch on, but keep the fish safer, right?

faile486

by faile486

I've got some Bio Spira that I can add to the tank once the Ich treatment is over - I'm guessing another three days. I'm just hoping the fish last that long...Ammonia is still at 0 but nitrites are at 5 mg/l...I could still either do a water change or add Prime to bring that down, but I'm not sure which would be better.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

water change over meds is always considered better long term solution. You should never have to medicate to lower your water parameters. Esp with nitrites... water changes should do the trick.

Why are you thinking of adding Bio Spira again? Your only issue now is the nitrites, right? For this, do water changes only.

faile486

by faile486

Ok, well the there haven't been any signs of Ick for four days now. I'm going to start lowering the temp in the tank again. I added a package of Bio Spera in last night. Anyone know how long it should take to work?

I also bought a new test kit, and the new one is much more in line with the results I got from having my water tested at the LFS - the old one was showing nitrites of >5 ppm, the new one is showing them at 1 ppm.

I think removing the old filter cartridge restarted my cycle = / Bio Spera is supposed to eliminate cycling, so I'm hoping the nitrites drop back down soon. I'll probably do another 20% water change tonight.

Nitrite Problem - Need Help!

14 posts • Page 2 of 2