3rd week. Big spike in everything over the last week.

1 post

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dgskydive

by dgskydive

First time posting.

3rd week into my first tank in 20 years. Added a Male Betta 2nd day and then a Albino Bushy Nose Plecos at end of 2nd week. I expected the levels to jump but not sure what to do from here. Did a 10% water change everyday for the first week. Then did a 20% change, and then 10% every 3 days since. I changed the water last night and tested this evening. PH jumped from 7.0 to 7.8 and the other levels where pretty much 0 just 7 days ago to what you see below. Any tips, advice as to what to do at this point?

Plecos is eating his heart out and making what may or may not be a lot of waste. I have given him a small piece of some algae wafers a few times as well. Betta was sick when I bought him and had to treat him for ick the first week. He is much better now. He also had some issues with his top fin that has just about cleared up. Just one small piece of his fin is still separated and all of them are starting to grow out and even out. He was pretty bad when I got him from Petsmart. Havent been back since I got him. Found a local fish store for most of the plants and the plecos. I do have 3 Cherry Shrimp in their. I started with 5 and the Betta just hunts them all day. They hide in the moss and only come out when the lights are off. When I turn on the lights in the morning he goes for them. The quick survive I guess. Wont be putting anymore shrimp in with him. Not planning on adding any more fish until I get things more stable. Just want to make sure the ones I have now make it. The shrimp are on their own at this point. lol

10 Gallon Tetra Tank
PH jumped way up to 7.8
Ammonia 1.0 ppm
Nitrite 2.0 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
Tetra 10-30 Filter

Hood, lights that came with supplemented with a Marineland 17" submersible white/blue led lights

Dwarf Hair Grass
Java Moss
Anubias
Baby Tears (?)

1 post