algae eaters not surviving ropefish

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cyndrine

by cyndrine

Hi,

I am having a huge algae problem in my 55gal. tried snails and algae eaters but the rope fish seem to be enjoying eating them. Do not want to use chemicals. Tank not in the sun. I got a new light canopy with led lights but it seems to be helping the algae. It is a natural light. Anyone have ideas on algae eater breeds that might survive the ropefish?

hadexicon

Re: algae eaters not surviving ropefish

by hadexicon

I know that my friend has a large rainbow fish in with his rope fish, they fight sometimes but he's had both in the same tank for a year, but they aren't the best algae waters around but if that's all you can get why not try it, maybe wait for it to be big enough to run and not just get overtaken? It depends on the size of your rope fish and the size of your rainbow shark in the end, if none of that works maybe invest in a crayfish. It could take a few extra minutes of putting underground hiding spots but those little nuggets cleaned my old tank of algae no problem.

rydudeski

Re: algae eaters not surviving ropefish

by rydudeski

Try using a wave maker. The more water ripples you can get going, the less algae will build up.

Instead of a wave maker I use a 900+gph fan from Petsmart, like $30, and have it close to the top of the water that ensures full water circulation at the top of the tank. I simply just turn it off when it is feeding time...

3 posts