Questions? Check our Forums
Latest topic : new to aquarium

ForumsFreshwater / Planted Tank Discussion • Need Help with High Ammonia!

Need Help with High Ammonia!

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.
30 posts • Page 1 of 1512345 ... 15

Need Help with High Ammonia!

Postby HeidiG » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:34 pm

I need help with the ammonia levels in my tank. We purchased a 20 gallon tank 3 weeks ago for our kids birthday and lost a fish yesterday due to high ammonia levels.

The fish store told me to do a 30% water change, change the filter pad, and recheck in the morning. It is still at the level 4 and I checked our tap water which reads a level 1. I also just added ammonia neutralizer to help.

This is my first time with a fish tank and want to do what is needed so we do not lose any more fish. After reading information online we started with too many fish, and most likely should not have replaced the filter cartridge.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Postby kraigt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Sounds like too much too soon, there is no immidiate quick fix without chemicals and you really don't want to go down that route, best option is water change every 2-3 days making sure you knock the gravel as you'll have lots of uneaten food and poop lying there, also check to make sure you have no other dead fish lying under something as this doesn't help

plus do you have fresh plants, just give any dead leaves a prune.

also never completely removing the filter media, this is where your good bacteria lives, if you need to replace, only replace part of it so your keeping some of the good in your tank

if you do have too many fish, be prepared for high levels and frequent water changes

What type of set up do you have and what fish??
30 posts • Page 1 of 1512345 ... 15

Return to Freshwater / Planted Tank Discussion