What type of filter should I use??

13 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

My step father has 5 koi in a 30 gallon tank {we pull them from a shallow water feature in the winter - -but anyway - he has minimal substrate and is running an undergravel filter with a smal HOT filter - -and the water is crystal clear - -i think in the case of large waste producing fish the under gravel seems to work nicely - -also he is feeding pellets as opposed to flake food so the advice given about food and UG filters is working in his case.

On the bio wheel - -i thought long and hard about buying one - -circumstances have changed and I'm upgradeing to a bigger system shortly with a sump - -but the LFS i dealt with had some biowheels that have been running for over 5 years without replacement - -the theory of benifiecial bactieria seems pretty solid to me - - and as a salt water guy that is important - -but i didn't end up with one opted for a skimmer instead on this 20 gal tank - -just the Snowboss's thoughts - WELCOME 6atreyu9 !!!!

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

I would get a canister filter with layers of medis for the filter. Also if the waters cloudy you must be over feeding them. Or one deadly thing...

ammonia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Draining 50 percent of the water should cure the problem

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I only have a 28 gallon tank but I have 6 fish and two frogs in it. I feed every other day, including some bottom food for the frogs. I use a Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel 150 and love it.

Zambize

What type of filter should I use??

13 posts • Page 2 of 2