Recently, i purchased five red cherry shrimp. I put them in a tiny 2 gallon tank with a sponge filter. They began breeding like crazy and soon i had a ton of babies. I moved them to a newly purchased 5 gallon with a heater which promptly broke. I installed a new heater, but inadvertently heated their water too high too quickly. Within 24 hours all the shrimp were dead but two. I assume the temperature increase is what killed them. I cleaned the tank, siphoning up as many shrimp bodies as i could, but within another 24 hours, the tank was smelling strongly of ammonia. After two days of 50% water changes, the tank still smelled bad and the two remaining shrimp were struggling, so i moved them and did a 90% water change on the shrimp tank.
Do you think the dead shrimp overwhelmed the biological filtration, or do you think something is wrong with my sponge filter? When i moved them to the 5 gallon tank, i changed sponges, but it came from a mature tank, and i don't think i let it dry out or anything in the move.
I tried testing for ammonia to confirm that is what i was smelling and two different tests did not detect any ammonia. Could it be something else?
I hate it when things go wrong like this! So disappointing!