No Water Change In Six Months

65 posts • Page 1 of 7

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

This is the latest update for the tank I have. Since October 2011, I have not changed the water in the tank. I have topped it off with new water (without chemicals added) about twice a week. The liquid test kit results: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30, oxygen 8, ph 8.2
and temperature 76-80 F.

The idea of water changing, filter systems, and/or lighting overhead, in the tank I own, proves unnecessary.

Word of caution for newbies to this hobby: do not attempt this without at least two (2) years of an established aquarium and a good amount of fish keeping experience.

On the one year anniversary (October 2012) without any water changes from now until then, I get a virtual kiss from Natalie (((smiles))).

I will keep everyone up to date on this particular tank.

Comments and/or suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: No Water Change In Six Months

by natalie265

Oh crap. Now, you know, i'm trusting you to be honest about your water stats at the end of the year, right? No fudging to get this (surely highly desirable) virtual kiss.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

You might be interested in Diana Walstad's book, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. She also has tanks that go an extended amount of time without water changes.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Natalie...every Sunday I perform liquid tests for ammonia & nitrite plus temperature

Sunday, 4/8/2012, the test reading: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, temperature 76-80

The key to the aquarium is consistency. Especially on the temperature...huge fluctuations in temperature will kill fish faster than no water changes at all. The nutrients in the tank (that is, the nitro-bacteria is feeding plentifully off of the foodstuffs the fish do not eat plus the fish feces. The live plants are feeding off the direct sunlight (plant above the gravel) and the plant parts below the gravel are feeding off the nutrients (from leftover foodstuffs and fish feces) which in turn supplement the water column with much required nutrients.

The entire goal that I wanted to achieve is a system that is as close to 100% self-sufficient as to mimic their natural habitats in the wild. Outside of the heater in the aquarium during the winter and the air stones providing the surface agitation (oxygen) plus most of the fish I have require "streams" or movement in the water column...outside of those two mechanical devices, the tank relies solely on natural processes.

I am sure as Okiimiru and Alisse have pointed out, there are tanks that have gone completely natural as well - but to add to that note: I never read a book about such a natural ecosystem. I learned completely from experience and reasoning.

I slowly eliminated the filter system, lighting overhead, water pumps and/or any gadget that is bought in a store except for the heater (which in June, I will eliminate then replace it in October) and the air stones (no way to get around this). I eliminated all chemicals (no water chlorination, medications and/or supplements - only frozen bloodworms and human foods).

Natural wood, rock and live plant plus white sand on one side and river pebble (for the plants/plant roots) on the other side.

So after all is said and done, with patience, experience and reasoning, an all natural ecosystem is about 95% self-sufficient (only time I disturb the fish is during feeding and to prune any cladophora/algae that may tangle itself in the live plants).

(I will recharge the camera batteries and post the latest pictures)

I look forward to the "surely highly desirable" virtual kiss (((smiles)))

Thanks much for your comments

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Here are the latest pictures of the 55 gallon freshwater all natural ecosystem aquarium
DSCN0978.jpg
DSCN0977.jpg
DSCN0976.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

More pictures
DSCN0982.jpg
DSCN0981.jpg
DSCN0979.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

More pictures
DSCN0985.jpg
DSCN0984.jpg
DSCN0983.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

more pictures
DSCN0988.jpg
DSCN0987.jpg
DSCN0986.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

more pictures
DSCN0991.jpg
DSCN0990.jpg
DSCN0989.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

last of the pictures - I hope you guys enjoy the pictures...on the one year anniversary of no water changing, I will post new pictures (note: the bottom picture is Dwarf Chain Loach...not Dward (bad typo)

thanks much everyone
DSCN0993.jpg
DSCN0992.jpg

65 posts • Page 1 of 7