Peat moss

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tinadno

Peat moss

by tinadno

Anyone have any experience with using peat moss in their aquarium? Did you boil it before putting it in the filter? Im not concerned about it changing the color of the water i'm doing it more to lower my pH for discus. Also, should I change it with every weekly water change? Thanks

esk98

by esk98

if you are worried about the ph, drift wood will help you with that and if you have arican cichlids in the same tank i would watch and make sure your discus are happy.
64510-DSC01780.JPG

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Don't boil it first. It should be changed at least every other week. Just an FYI, if your water is really hard with a high buffering capacity (as mine is) the peat (and driftwood) will have very little to no effect on the ph.

tinadno

by tinadno

I dont have africans mixed with discus. I have a separate 70 gallon that im putting discus and tetras in. My tap water pH is between 7.2-7.5. I already have a huge piece of driftwood in that tank and it hasnt lowered the pH at all.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Well, if the peat moss doesn't help, you could use RO water. That's what i use in some of my tanks. But 70 gallons is a lot of RO water!

Alasse

by Alasse

Wood will do very little to adjust PH

I would use a mix of RO/tap or rainwater/tap to get lower PH

Peat moss

6 posts