Betta got shredded

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Betta got shredded

by natalie265

As unlikely as it seems, i think my betta, Beau, hopped the barrier into Edgar's side of the tank, got his ass kicked, and hopped back over.

I found him today completely shredded. He is a HM and his big, beautiful tail is almost completely gone. From what i understand, bettas are pretty good jumpers, and i might have grossly underestimated this ability when i filled the water up to an inch and a half short of the top of the divider. Anyone want to weigh in on what might have happened? I just don't know how else to explain the sudden, shredded fins. Edgar shows no signs of a fight.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I had a fish jump out of a small hole in one tank and fly about 8 inches into the small hole in the tank next to it. It went back to it's origonal tank.

The fish was about 7 inches long and the hole it went into was 2 inches wide and about 6 inches long. This was a Hujeta Characin, a long fish that looks like a gar.

Sorry to hear your fish got ripped up by the other......which is probably what happened I'd think, but I'm sure it'll grow it's fins back.

Were they fighting through the devider?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Wow, that's a pretty amazing story! Maybe mine isn't as unlikely as i thought!

Up until yesterday, they didn't seem to be bothered by each other. I was recently saying to myself that i had such sweet, passive bettas. In fact, they would hang out "together" all the time without flaring. However, yesterday, when i found Beau all mangeled, i noticed that he was now flaring at Edgar quite a bit.

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

Bettas jump alot , and when Im at work(lfs) i find them 2-to a cup, or dried up on the floor all the time.

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

could it have just happened naturally ? i was @ petco last weekend n almost all there betas lookd beat up. my sons passed away n was getting him a new 1 but they all had nasty lookin tails,but overnight,?dont seem right.sorry to heat that

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

At Petco, they're kept in horrible conditions and probably suffering from fin rot. This damage literally happened over night. I've lowered the water level and put in a different filter (in case that's what did it), and now i'm just waiting for those beautiful fins to grow back in.

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

good luck i hope they do. betas r beautiful fish

Betta got shredded

7 posts