Need Help with High Ammonia!

30 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Picked the fish out???? Does this man they're all dead now? You need fish in there to produce the food to keep the bacteria alive. (unless you do a fishless cycle. Something a bit more involved and not usually done by most people)

Leave the cartrage in till water peramiters are good, ie the cycle is working and keeping ammonia and nitrites at zero.

With kids that young I'd considder making it a rule to stay out of the tank. You could measure out a tiny bit of food for them so the kids don't feed too much.

Of course it's fun to feed fish, esp for kids. They just don't know that fish are allways going to beg for food and really don't need that much.

You could feed even twice per day, but very little if any should be reaching the bottom before it's eaten.

Cute tank!

HeidiG

by HeidiG

Funny. No, they decided which items to purchase for the tank, along with the types of fish - with Mom's guidance of course!

I put the amount of food in the cap and let them add that amt. to the tank. Most likely, I was overfeeding.

We have only buried one. They will not allow us to flush.

I grew up with a 55 gallon tank (my Dad's) that he had running for 20 years. It has been an experience setting up and starting one on my own.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You'll get it right soon. You might get a little cloudy water for a day or two and this is a normal part of the bacteria getting adjusted to your tank. One thing I like to do, as well as many others, is to have much more filtration than what is required. You can add a second filter if there's room, or a canister type which goes under the tank and doesn't get in the way of a hang on back (HOB) type. This way you'll have a tank that can tollerate occasional over feeding, over stocking, etc. The sponge is still a good idea too as it also keeps the main filter from clogging up as fast. The sponge does have to be rinsed often, but that's pretty easy. If you have bacteria in other places you can rinse in tap water. Just a suggestion.

I got back into aquariums when my son was about 4. We had a lot of fun with the whole thing. I was into it as a child myself, collecting fish and crayfish from the stream nearby (when I lived in upstate NY). Now I have 5 tanks, with 4 including my 100 gallon in my bedroom. It's a fun hobby, and a lot more fun when you understand the basics and can keep fish alive.

Good luck! PK

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

OH NO! Man, those fish store salesmen are like weathermen, 9 out of 10 times they are wrong.

In a new tank never ever change the filter. Oh man, this is the worse thing you can ever do. I completely blame the salesperson. Incredible advice...guy should be out of that department.

With a new tank you need to leave all filters in place so the good bacteria can accumulate or else you will never ever, and I promise you this, get the ammonia to stay at zero. Man, what an idiot salesperson. If I was you, I would complain to the manager of that store, because that person should not be in the fish department...who knows what other bad advice he or she gave.

In the beginning of the cycling your tank, first 4-8 weeks, your ammonia level will rise at first, this is natural. Do not be shocked about this. Very normal...actually, this must occur first. It is the first GOOD sign your tank is cycling right...if your ammonia level did not rise, you will be in for a very long cycling. Then your nitrites will rise as the ammonia levels fall th next bacteria comes into play, nitrite, this bacteria will rise very quickly, then fall to turn into nitrate which should read about 10-25 ppm (never ever to exceed over 40-50 ppm or else you'll stress the fish to the point that they can die). Once the ammonia and nitrite levels remain steady at 0 for about 2-4 weeks, and nitrate is at 10-25 ppm, then you have a cycled tank...and then and only then, can you add more fish, easy on it, observe closely and test the waters for any further problems.

The filters in the filter remain. I hope you have a bio-wheel which should never ever be replaced or rinsed. If the filters are charcoal based, AFTER the tank is cycled, then and only then, replace one filter at a time every 4-5 weeks or else you will have a reverse reaction for the charcoal is unable to clean the water properly and the tank will get polluted. If you can get 2 filters in, one comes out to be replaced and the other is rinsed in tank water...repeat this process every 4-6 weeks.

Hope this helps
Last edited by yasherkoach on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

one other thing, never ever use chemicals except water conditioner (Prime, preferably on each water change, follow the bottle as directed).

Chemicals can actually make things worse. Chemicals will offset other chemicals in the tank, and you will find yourself in a juggling act...and in the process, you will stress the fish and possibly kill them.

let nature do its thing. Us humans must water test, water change, never overfeed, periodic change of filters (after the tank has cycled), observe...and repeat. I have a log book on everything that has happened in the tank since May 8, 2008. Every water test, every item added, every fish that passed on, every prune, every type of food, you name it, the date, I will give you info on what exactly happened in the tank. You may want to do this, especially on water testing, it helps to show when is the best time to prevent things from happening.

Anyway, stay away from the chemicals. I do not want to sound arrogant about this, but most experts do not know what they advising on, and store salespeople ar even worse...you want everyday experience from us common people, come here, to this forum (and probably others), and you will receive the best advice that you can ever imagine.

Happy fishing!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

btw, PK excellent advice....or else, I would have wrote a book on this one :)

NIce thread though...a thread like this should have a special section so all new fishkeepers can learn of the hobby right off the bat. Though it is cool to share our experience and/or know how.

Anyway, excellent advice from those who participated in this thread. Enjoyed it.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Kraigt is correct, a redtail shark is semi-aggressive, so you need to have caves so the other fish can have some security in the tank. Redtails only grow to about 4 inches, so you should be okay...though a bigger tank will provide more territory and hiding places for the fish. Your choice...beings you are in the starting gate, 20 gal will be fine for now. In about 6 months to a year's time, maybe you can get a tank like your fathers (55 gallon, which is actually, in my opinion, the best size tank to begin with in this hobby).

I did want to say one thing - again I find complete fault in that salesperson who wants to make money...you should only have 1-2 fish, like the tetras to begin the cycling. Of course it is too late, and with all these fish, you may have a little more trouble cycling, but next time you begin this hobby, only 2 tetras or hardy fish should be added at first as to not overhwlem the good bacteria. I love bacteria, another nice little species in our tanks. If the bacteria is not overhwlemed, these little guys in the thousands will do more work for you than you can ever imagine.

Anyway, thanks for this thread...and it's growing :)

keep us posted...wait 2-3 weeks, water test etc and let us know how it's going. Most of us have experience with established tanks so we'll help you get here.

Happy fishing!
Last edited by yasherkoach on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Ok enough from me...until I hear back from you Heidi

HeidiG

by HeidiG

How often do you recommend that I test the water?

I will be looking for the ammonia to drop, nitrites to rise, then for the nitrites to drop as the nitrates rise (safe level).

After then, replace 1 of the filter cartridges every 4 - 6 weeks.

We lost one of my daughter's mollies last night (2nd fish lost) - lot's of crying and hugs. We now have a total of 8 fish.

I will also cont. water changes frequently until the full cycle has occurred.

HeidiG

by HeidiG

1 more Q. Since the redtail shark and albino cory are bottom feeders and my tank is new (lack of alge, etc.) will they get enough to eat with a very smaill flake feeding 2x daily?

Need Help with High Ammonia!

30 posts • Page 2 of 3