What are the parts of a canister filter and how does it work

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Hi i might be getting a canister filter for my 75 gallon tank and i just wanted to no what it is about

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

what kind ????

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

A Fluval canister filter

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I wish I had the money for a Fluval, because they are supposed to be one of the best. I have 2 Rena Filstar XP3's rated to filter tanks up to 175 gallons each, and they cost about $120.00 each. most work as a sealed box with a tube going in and a tube going out. Mine have a column of baskets that can be filled with different filter mediums and water goes down around the baskets and up through them. There is an impeller like that of a powerhead's that acts as the pump which forces water through the system. The one I have has the greatest filter capacity for the price. Go on the Internet and Fluval shows cut-away pics of how their filters work. It may be a little different than mine, but they're all pretty much the same. I think it's a great investment, and you can put all kinds of things into them you can't with a hang on filter, they allow you to put your tank close to the wall, and they're out of the way under your tank.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

In the sealed canister how does beneficial bacteria grow... doesnt it require some oxygen? or do you rely on a hob or the gravel bed for that beneficial bacteria? Also, is a canister overkill on a 20 gal? I already get crazy currents with the hob and the two powerheads. I was thinking of knocking down my output on each powerhead to the lowest setting (from 126 down to 80 gph each) since my angels prefer calmer waters, but then my fears of a dirty buildup underneath the ugf bring me back to reality and I leave it as is, hehehe.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Spongebob. I guess you think the elbow on the powerhead is ugly. If you look at my whole tank pic I have it on the left side, and it totally cut's current. Why don't you just turn up the PH's once in a while if you think stuff is getting caught under the gravel. About bacteria, there is oxygen in the water in a molecular state, not just bubbles. There is plenty of O2 within a canister, and nothing is over kill when it comes to filtration. I use a 175 gallon tank size rated canister for a 20 gallon. I know it's not needed, but I don't care, and I'll have this filter for a long time, and I'll use it for other aquariuims in the future.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

yes, i took ure advice before and mounted my outflow deflectors upwards with a rubberband, so the current hits the surface, but since its so small and i have two powerheads and my hob i still get strong current. Maybe its not strong, but since i used to have zero current before it just seems strong. Good idea about knocking up the flow once in a while, i'll do that.

PS ill take more pics of my setup and post them

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Try to answer my question. If you want to chat make a new post

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Pleco, i can and will answer posts wherever they are relevant... and since i was talking about the efficiency of a canister and you are asking about canisters then it seems like a good place to post. I don't go around telling you where to post, and how useless most of your posts are, and how you post replies to questions that were asked almost one year ago. So relax and just read the parts that pertain to you, like I do when I have to filter past your replies.

serial32

by serial32

I've owned and moderated several boards/forums and believe me it's much easier to have people chatting/answering/having questions about a particular subject in 1 thread rather than multiples. If everytime someone made a new thread to continue talking about something that is already in another thread the forum gets all gummed up and eventually becomes just about useless for information. The search function will end up being pointless if there are hundreds of new threads about the same thing.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2