How do you filter a Paludarium Tank?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I am going to be moving my 20 gallon community planted tank to my old 30 gallon soon. I would love to make it into a sort of Paludarium. These are the tanks that are half in and half out of water. My plan is to fill it about 3/4th of the way then have tree roots coming out of the water and putting regular vine plants going into it, their roots.

This is what I mean: http://www.paludariums.net/pictures3.php

http://wet.biggiantnerds.com/logs/image ... 120708.jpg

My question is, how would you filter a tank like this? All I have are HOB filters and when you take the water level down 20-30% they stop working. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to go with a sponge filter because I will be putting all my fish in there and need something to pull the crap out.

Thanks guys!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would personally use a canister filter. It would take up the least amount of room for your application. They make filters that go in your tank.....but in my opinion would be too bulky to get the natural look your going for. I would use the Ehiem ECCO. Its small efficient and it would work great.

Heres your other option.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 2580000000

Im just a reef tank guy......so i dont know a whole lot about those.....but I do know you want to keep it as natural as possible. Thats most of our goals with creating a biotope. :)

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Canister sounds like a great idea. You could probably get different nozzles for a spraybar as well to create some sort of waterfall effect. if you wanted to supplement you could get what fishboy pointed out, or a couple of cheap internal filters or micro-filters most people would get for a turtle tank for example. Some are so small they'd be easy to hide with a few plants.

I wish the LFS I visit about once a month had a website with pictures cause he has several display tanks which have multi water levels. They're really cool.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Funny you should mention turtle tank... Theres a place around the corner from my house called Wild Things....Has turtles and fish and plants and gheckos all in one tank. Its pretty sweet! Problem is.....turtles eat fish.....lol dont get too attached. :) They use a turtle filter for everything. Its in a 75 gallon tank.....and its REALLY cool.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I think if I do this I will go with a submersible filter. I cannot afford a canister, they are just way too expensive!

thanks for the input guys :-)

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You can always upgrade too. :)

dizzcat

by dizzcat

When I upgrade to a canister it will be for my African tank :-) My planted tank stays very clean due to the fish I have and the plants.

So, any upgrades go to my Africans, the spoiled brats LOL

fihsboy

by fihsboy

haha I know what you mean. My poor dogs are neglected now that I have fish. lol. But they still get a bone a week or something.

8 posts